This article is based on Mayo Clinic’s content.
What is diabetes mellitus?
Diabetes mellitus refers to a group of diseases that affect the way the body uses blood sugar (glucose). Glucose is vital for health as a primary source of energy for the cells that make up muscles and tissues. It is also the brain’s main fuel source.
If you have diabetes, of either type, you have too much glucose in your blood, although the causes may differ, and this excess glucose can cause serious health problems.
Diseases of chronic diabetes include type 1 and type 2 diabetes.Pre-diabetes (when blood sugar levels are higher than normal, but not high enough to be classified as diabetes) and gestational diabetes (which occurs during pregnancy, but can be resolved after giving birth to the baby) and both diabetes diseases that are can be reversed.
Do you want to know more about diabetes?
We recommend that you continue reading the pages in Diabetes UK on the Diabetes: Basics public page.
Which mushrooms have useful properties for diabetes?
Sugar balancing. This rare mushroom contains specific compounds that have the ability to balance blood sugar levels. Glucomannancontained in this mushroom has the ability to regulate the body sugar levels in the blood stream. Furthermore, Coprinus has been studied in cases of obesity, metabolic problems and problems related to healthy functioning of the pancreas.
Reishi also has shown effects in decreasing blood sugar by modulating the mechanisms in the body .
- Park HJ, Yun J, Jang SH, Kang SN, Jeon BS, Ko YG, Kim HD, Won CK, Kim GS, Cho JH. Coprinus comatus cap inhibits adipocyte differentiation via regulation of PPARγ and Akt signaling pathway. PLoS One. 2014 Sep 2;9(9):e105809. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0105809. eCollection 2014. PubMed PMID: 25181477.
- Sabo A, Stilinovic N, Vukmirovic S, Bukumiric Z, Capo I, Jakovljevic V. Pharmacodynamic action of a commercial preparation of the mushroom Coprinus comatus in rats. Phytother Res. 2010 Oct;24(10):1532-7. doi: 10.1002/ptr.3182. Ma Z, Fu Q. Comparison of hypoglycemic activity and toxicity of vanadium (IV) and vanadium (V) absorbed in fermented mushroom of Coprinus comatus. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2009 Dec;132(1-3):278-84. doi: 10.1007/s12011-009-8394-x.
- Lv Y, Han L, Yuan C, Guo J. Comparison of hypoglycemic activity of trace elements absorbed in fermented mushroom of Coprinus comatus. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2009 Nov;131(2):177-85. doi: 10.1007/s12011-009-8352-7. Epub 2009 Mar 13. PubMed Han C, Cui B, Qu J. Comparison of vanadium-rich activity of three species fungi of basidiomycetes. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2009 Mar;127(3):278-83. doi: 10.1007/s12011-008-8246-0. Epub 2008 Oct 25.
- Han C, Liu T. A comparison of hypoglycemic activity of three species of basidiomycetes rich in vanadium. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2009 Feb;127(2):177-82. doi: 10.1007/s12011-008-8231-7
- Zhou G, Han C. The co-effect of vanadium and fermented mushroom of Coprinus comatus on glycaemic metabolism. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2008 Jul;124(1):20-7. doi: 10.1007/s12011-008-8118-7.
- Han C, Cui B, Wang Y. Vanadium uptake by biomass of Coprinus comatus and their effect on hyperglycemic mice. Biol Trace Elem Res. 2008 Jul;124(1):35-9. doi: 10.1007/s12011-008-8120-0.
- Han C, Yuan J, Wang Y, Li L. Hypoglycemic activity of fermented mushroom of Coprinus comatus rich in vanadium. J Trace Elem Med Biol. 2006;20(3):191-6.
- Bailey CJ, Turner SL, Jakeman KJ, Hayes WA. Effect of Coprinus comatus on plasma glucose concentrations in mice. Planta Med. 1984 Dec;50(6):525-6
- Vitak TY, Wasser SP, Nevo E, Sybirna NO. The Effect of the Medicinal Mushrooms Agaricus brasiliensis and Ganoderma lucidum (Higher Basidiomycetes) on the Erythron System in Normal and Streptozotocin-Induced Diabetic Rats. Int J Med Mushrooms. 2015;17(3):277-86.
- Pan D, Zhang D, Wu J, Chen C, Xu Z, Yang H, Zhou P. A novel proteoglycan from Ganoderma lucidum fruiting bodies protects kidney function and ameliorates diabetic nephropathy via its antioxidant activity in C57BL/6 db/db mice. Food Chem Toxicol. 2014 Jan;63:111-8. doi: 10.1016/j.fct.2013.10.046.
- Pan D, Zhang D, Wu J, Chen C, Xu Z, Yang H, Zhou P. Antidiabetic, antihyperlipidemic and antioxidant activities of a novel proteoglycan from ganoderma lucidum fruiting bodies on db/db mice and the possible mechanism. PLoS One. 2013 Jul 11;8(7):e68332. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0068332.
- Wu QP, Cai W, Tan JB, Yang XB, Zhang JM. Hypoglycemic effects of Ganoderma lucidum polysaccharides in type 2 diabetic mice. Arch Pharm Res. 2012 Oct;35(10):1793-801. doi: 10.1007/s12272-012-1012-z.
- Teng BS, Wang CD, Zhang D, Wu JS, Pan D, Pan LF, Yang HJ, Zhou P. Hypoglycemic effect and mechanism of a proteoglycan from ganoderma lucidum on streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic rats. Eur Rev Med Pharmacol Sci. 2012 Feb;16(2):166-75.
- Teng BS, Wang CD, Yang HJ, Wu JS, Zhang D, Zheng M, Fan ZH, Pan D, Zhou P. A protein tyrosine phosphatase 1B activity inhibitor from the fruiting bodies of Ganoderma lucidum (Fr.) Karst and its hypoglycemic potency on streptozotocin-induced type 2 diabetic mice. J Agric Food Chem. 2011 Jun 22;59(12):6492-500. doi: 10.1021/jf200527y.